My history...

I went to elementary school until 5th grade when my mom began homeschooling my older sister, and my younger brother and I wanted in on it. I had a mean teacher with a temper who really intimidated me, so I was more than happy to stay home. The summer before 8th grade we moved to a rural town. My sister was going to attend the high school and my mom gave me the choice to go back to public if I'd like. Being in a new place with no local friends, and way out in the country where I couldn't just walk places, I decided to go back. (Remember, this was before the internet when the only way you were in contact with friends was a home phone and a mailbox). I attended 8th grade and stayed through graduating high school.

I feel like I had your "typical" public school experience. I enjoyed certain aspects and didn't enjoy others. I remember being made fun of, not understanding something and just being passed over, getting so nervous to speak in front of the class, during a read-aloud I'd count out the paragraphs to find mine and read it quickly before it was my turn (I did this in high school!), and feeling insecure in the locker room. I also remember making friends, discovering my love for singing, being in a musical, and trying a sport for the first time.

I loved my two years at home with my mom. She took a unit study approach to her homeschool and she put a lot of work into it. When we studied the jungle she covered the hallway walls with green and black construction paper and we cut out shapes of animals and hung them up. Her take on Greece included a party where we invited family, we got dressed up, ate baklava, and gave presentations. I have a close bond with my siblings, and I think those years helped cultivate that. Since that time I have had it in the back of my mind that I would one day homeschool my kids.

My husband had the full public school experience. He doesn't have a strong opinion for either approach and gives me his full support. (For some reason it's never been his lifelong dream to homeschool his kids...maybe it's his lack of love for office supplies...I kid😏)

Let's see where this takes us!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What am I doing...

All About Reading Set-up